Tuesday 8 September 2009

Butch Is Back? When Did Butch Go Away?

Butch Femme SocietyImage via Wikipedia
The following has been clipped from The Bilerico Project Report dated 07 September 2009
______________________________

In the middle of the summer--on the day I was leaving for vacation, in fact--Bil Browning, our illustrious editor-in-chief, put an article on my virtual desk. It was the cover story for the Village Voice's queer issue, titled "Rachel Maddow, the New Sexy: the Butch is Back, with a Poster Girl."

Throughout my summer travels, I tried, unsuccessfully, to get this article out of my mind. But I can't seem to let it go. Thanks a lot, Bil.

It's not just because the author, Winnie McCroy, looks to TV producers and straight people as the arbiters of dyke culture. It's not because the article repeatedly evokes the stereotype of butches as "mullet coifed" man-haters who see "men as the enemy."

No, what irks me most is the way that this article--and loads of other trendspotting articles about the "new" butch--get queer history wrong.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment