Sunday 20 September 2009

What a difference 23 years makes.



What a difference 23 years makes.


On September 18, 1986, I woke up and thought I would try this new "one day at a time" thing I had been hearing about in meetings. Earlier that year, I had racked up my second DUI and was looking at spending time in jail for it.

Today I can say that the "one day at a time thing" has worked for 23 years. Some days have been easy, some were as painful as surgery without anesthesia.

I have watched friends die, lost my beloved lhasa apso, lost the house we got married in, got married, and helped get LGBT legislation passed in New Mexico. As my friend Julia would say, "It's a very long list."
That is what happens when one stays alive for 54 years, seeing many things, many people and places, in short, experiencing life. There is sadness and joy, moments that are just about taking a breath, and moments that are breathtaking.

Considering where I was headed, I am grateful today to be taking many breaths.

As a Latina lesbian honoring Hispanic Heritage month, I am making a big deal out of 23 years of sobriety. I am proud to have Latino blood flowing in my veins and that for today, I am sober.

Thanks to all the folks who have held my hand during these 23 years. The road has been bumpy but I am grateful to share the road with such loving, compassionate people.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment